Softball and baseball’s favorite newspaper since 1987
By Gerry Turnberg
Central Divisional Vice President
Point System for USSSA 2011 Rankings
The ranking system is based entirely on fact and is well respected across the nation as the granddaddy of all ranking systems.
I am sure that many of you have questioned how the system works. Below are certain criteria defining the system and showing the breakdown of points awarded to the teams. I believe that this will be very valuable to you during the coming season should you have any questions concerning the ranking system.
In the Men’s B-C and D programs, each state can send an at-large team to the World Tournament based on the number of points the team has earned through playing in the USSSA tournament program. The requirements for an at large berth are:
• Team must have the highest number of points after the completion of their State Tournament.
• Team qualifying must have a minimum of 200 points after the State Tournament.
• Team qualifying must have participated in a minimum of two (2) National Invitational Tournaments (NIT’s) during the season.
• Team qualifying must have participated in a minimum of six (6) USSSA sanctioned events including NIT’s and State Tournaments.
• Teams receiving their berth through the State berth system will not receive travel money and must provide their entry fee into the World Tournament.
• The berth may drop to the next highest ranked team in their state if the team meets all of the listed criteria.
• All berths must be approved and issued by the teams State Director and Division Vice President and accepted by National Headquarters by August 21.
It is mandatory that all teams that qualify for their World Tournament play in their State tournament and a National Tournament in their class.
National Ranking System Facts
• One of the major
National Team Ranking Systems in the
• Includes all significant classifications of the program.
• One of the few, if not the only, that is based entirely on participation supported by documents.
• Has become a major vehicle in creating interest and participation in the USSSA program.
• Has become the goal of thousands of players, managers and sponsors to be ranked on a state, divisional or national basis.
National Ranking System includes:
• Top finishers in USSSA sanctioned tournaments.
• One document, the USSSA Tournament Sanction Report, is the only method of input into the system.
• Only USSSA registered teams.
Does not include:
• Any other organization’s programs.
• Who beat who means nothing.
• Big budgets or politics mean nothing.
World Tournament & World Series
State & National Tournaments
National Invitational Tournaments
All Qualifying Tournaments
Note: Teams that participate in any higher class tournament will automatically receive double the awarded points. For example: If a Men’s C team participates in a Men’s B NIT and finishes in 5th place, that team will receive 140 points instead of 70.
As you can see it is an advantage to play in higher class tournaments to earn double the points! Seedings for all NIT’s, Qualifiers, State, National and World Tournaments are based on this point system.
State Hall of Fame Golf Tournament:
Our Hall of Fame Golf Tournament will be Thursday, June 16 to benefit our State Hall of Fame. This is a fun-filled day! The tournament is a four person scramble with an , shotgun start. The $75 entry fee includes: golf, cart, golf shirt, barbecue, tee gifts, door prizes and games on every hole. Please contact my office or visit www.mnusssa.com for a flyer. It is a great way to kick off the weekend of our men’s Major NIT.
In the Women’s “C/D”
World NIT, Minnesota Madness came through the losers
bracket to capture the title and a paid Women’s “D” World berth in
Below is a list of
remaining tournaments that are run by our state office. To enter any of these tournaments (which will
all be played at BeBop’s in
Date Class Tournament
May 21-22 Men’s Open World NIT
Men’s “D” World NIT
June 4-5 Men’s C/D World NIT
Men’s “E” World NIT
July 9-10 Men’s Open World NIT
Men’s “D” World NIT
July 23-24 Mixed “D” World NIT
July 23 Men’s “C/D” World NIT
July 24 Mens “C/D” World NIT
We are going to have a “Wood Bat” state tournament sponsored by Combat Sports September 10-11. There will be two divisions; “competitive” for players who played Class “C” & above and “recreational” for players who played D & E during the summer.
Check out the Minnesota USSSA website and view the listings of all tournaments. You can also print out copies of numerous fliers for weekend tournaments.
National USSSA website:
If I can be of any
assistance in any of your softball needs, please call 763.571.1305 x 108 or
1-800-862-3659 x108 or email email@example.com, or stop by my office at
Remember – it is you, the player, coach, fan, and umpire that make USSSA a GREAT organization and the place to be!